Advance your career through training, RPL, education and certification. By advancing your career, you ensure a more rewarding career & a more secure future. You need to take additional steps in addition to doing well in your day to day responsibilities at work.
Tips to advance your career:
- You need to have a plan for short, medium & long term objectives. The better you plan and the better you execute the plan, the better your chances of advancing your career will be.
- One of the best ways to advance your career is through additional training & by taking additional courses, short courses, seminars, certification tests and possibly a certificate, diploma or degree. Through additional training & additional education you update your skills and your knowledge. This enhances your resume. Sometimes this helps with getting a higher salary.
- Review your progress with yourself and also with your manager on a regular basis. Every three months is a good guide.
- Another way to advance your career, if you can’t attend classes, is to study by distance education/ correspondence. Make sure the online distance education program that you choose is accredited for the field of study that you seek.
- Certification tests are sometimes necessary for securing a job overseas.
- Keep in mind that many companies will pay for additional training & additional education provided you obtain approval in advance & you obtain a certain grade.
- Always have an up to date resume, cover letter & practice job search techniques such as interviewing… etc.
- Explore all the possibilities with your current employer. Talk to your manager & talk to other managers. Make sure everyone knows you are interested in more responsibilities, advancement & promotion. You need to raise your hand to get noticed.
- Your network is as important as your career. Build and maintain your contact network. Maintain contact by having coffee or lunch with one of your contacts at least once a month.
- Always keep your eyes and ears open to opportunities.
- Start planning your next move as soon as you realize that you have a dead end job. Of course things may change with time or your boss might get fired or may resign, but you can’t count on that.
- You may decide to make a career change at any time. Just be sure to do a thorough research first.
- If you decide to start your own business, research the competition, the finances & know the risks involved before starting.
- Always know what you are worth in the job market.
- Possibly consider relocating if it will help advance your career.
- There are also different sectors within many industries, like engineering & manufacturing.
- There are programs such as Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), that could assist some.