Virtual interview tips to assist you. Also see my job interview training. I assist clients in Canberra, Adelaide, Hobart, Sydney, Darwin, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and worldwide.
- How do you prepare and how do you dress up for a virtual interview?
- What are the best virtual interview tips?
Preparing for a virtual interview
- While virtual interviews may be stressful to some, they are becoming common. Also, after 2 or 3, preparing will become easier.
- Practice common questions, the same way you prepare for a face-to-face job interview.
- Also prepare for different scenarios. Including one way video, online video and phone.
Virtual interview tips
- Also referred to as remote or zoom interviews.
- Test your laptop, connections and camera each time.
- Ensure you have a high-quality video. As this will be expected.
- Check your internet speed at different times of the day. So you can pick the best time. In general, early mornings are the best times due to less usage.
- Turn off all downloads or updates to your laptop.
- Disable all notifications on your laptop and mobile phone.
- Turn off any distractions.
How do you dress up for this interview?
- Dress up professionally, the same as you would for a face-to-face interview.
- Be ready at least 15 minutes earlier. As they may call you a few minutes earlier.
- Just like an in-person interview, there may be up to 4 interviewers. Also use strong action verbs.
- In some cases, companies may initially ask for a one-way video. Also treat this as if you were in a face-to-face interview.
- Avoid discussing your salary expectations.
- Send a thank you email to everyone who interviewed you.
More on preparing for a virtual interview
- Ensure there is a professional background setting.
- Have a nice smile and make good eye contact.
- Stay confident and positive.
- Ensure your environment resembles an office environment as much as possible.
My coaching services
- Assisting clients worldwide. Including clients across Australia, in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide Canberra and Perth.
- Also, assisting CEOs, senior managers, operations managers, supply chain managers, AI professionals, project managers and accountants. In addition to mechanical engineers, data scientists, machine learning engineers and all others across all fields and at different levels.
- This article was updated on 10 November 2023.
- Please share the above virtual interview tips.
KMD-Solutions is based in Sydney, Australia.
© 2003- 2023 KMD-Solutions. All rights reserved worldwide.