Virtual interview tips to help in preparing for a virtual interview. As a result of COVID-19, most are conducting virtual interviews.
What are the best virtual interview tips?
How do you dress up for a virtual interview?
How do you prepare for a virtual interview during COVID-19?
Preparing for a virtual interview during COVID-19?
- While virtual interviews may be stressful to some, they are becoming the norm as a result of COVID-19. Also, after 2 or 3 interviews, preparing for a virtual interview will become easier.
- Practice common virtual interview questions, the same way you prepare for a face to face job interview.
- Also prepare for different virtual interview scenarios. Including video interviews and phone interviews.
- Treat the virtual interview just like a face to face interview. Including a phone interview, online video interview and one way interview.
- Also see COVID-19 job opportunities and post COVID-19 CV tips.
COVID-19 virtual interview tips
- Virtual interviews are also referred to as remote interviews.
- Test your laptop, connections and camera, prior to each interview.
- Ensure you have a high quality video interview, as this will be expected.
- Due to many being in COVID-19 lockdown, internet connections are slower at high peak times. So check your internet speed at different times of the day, so you can pick the best time for your virtual interviews. In general, early mornings are the best times due to less usage.
- Turn off all downloads or updates prior to the virtual interview.
- Disable all notifications on your laptop and mobile phone.
- Turn off any distractions.
- Ensure there is a professional background setting
- Have a nice smile and make good eye contact.
- Stay confident and positive.
- Avoid focusing on COVID-19 during your interview.
- Ensure your environment resembles an office environment as much as possible.
How do you dress up for this interview?
- Dress up professionally, the same as you would for a face to face interview.
More COVID-19 virtual interview tips
- Be ready for the virtual interview at least 15 minutes earlier. As they may call you a few minutes earlier.
- Just like an in person interview, there may be up to 4 interviewers conducting the interview. Also use strong action verbs during your virtual interview.
- In some cases companies may initially ask for a one way video. Also treat this as if you were in a face to face interview.
- Avoid discussing your salary expectations at virtual interviews.
- Send an interview thank you email to everyone who interviewed you.
Coronavirus job search info
- Some organisations are hiring, including Services Australia, Services NSW, ANZ Bank, Coles and BHP. Also see post COVID-19 application letter tips and COVID-19 job search tips.
- Please share these COVID-19 virtual interview tips to help in preparing for a virtual interview.
- Also see my job interview training and salary negotiation coaching. And call me on +61 417 063 668.
- I assist clients across Australia. Including Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.
- Also assisting clients worldwide. Including clients from the USA, Brazil, UK, Canada and Germany.
- Will be adding more articles relating to COVID-19, preparing for a virtual interview and virtual interview tips.
- This article was updated on August 24, 2020.
- Please share the above virtual interview tips.
© 2003- 2020 KMD-Solutions. All rights reserved worldwide.