Virtual interview tips to help you prepare for your virtual job interview during COVID-19. As a result of COVID-19, most companies are conducting virtual interviews. Including video interviews, phone interviews and one way interviews.
How do you prepare for a virtual interview during COVID-19?
COVID-19 virtual interview tips
- Virtual interview is also referred to as remote interview.
- Test your laptop, connections and camera, prior to the interview.
- Ensure you have a high quality video interview, as this will be expected.
- Also see COVID-19 job opportunities and post COVID-19 CV tips.
- Due to many being in COVID-19 lockdown, internet connections are slower at high peak times. So check your internet speed at different times of the day, so you can pick the best time for your virtual interviews. In general, early mornings are the best times due to less usage.
- Turn off all downloads or updates prior to the virtual interview.
- Disable all notifications on your laptop and mobile phone.
- Dress up professionally, as you would for a face to face interview.
- Turn off any distractions.
- Ensure there is a professional background setting
- Have a nice smile and make good eye contact.
- Stay confident and positive.
- Avoid focusing on the COVID-19 during your interview.
- Ensure your environment resembles an office environment as much as possible.
How to prepare for a virtual interview during COVID-19
- Practice common virtual interview questions, the same way you prepare for a face to face job interview.
- Also prepare for different virtual interview scenarios.
- Treat the virtual interview just like a face to face interview. Including a phone interview, online video interview and one way interview.
More COVID-19 virtual interview tips
- Be ready for the virtual interview at least 15 minutes earlier. As they may call you a few minutes earlier.
- Just like an in person interview, there may be up to 4 interviewers conducting the interview. Also use strong action verbs during your virtual interview.
- While virtual interviews may be stressful to some, they are becoming the norm as a result of COVID-19. Also, after 2 or 3 interviews, the virtual interview process will become easier.
- In some cases companies may initially ask for a one way video. Also treat this as if you are in a face to face interview.
- Avoid discussing your salary expectations.
- Send an interview thank you email to everyone who interviewed you.
Coronavirus job search info
- Some organisations are hiring, including Services Australia, Centrelink, Services NSW, ANZ Bank, Coles and BHP. Also see post COVID-19 application letter tips and COVID-19 job search tips.
- Also, there is relief for the unemployed through Centrelink job seeker benefits and additional Centrelink supplements.
- The Australian Government is also offering job keeper payments.
- Please share these COVID-19 virtual interview tips.
- Also see my job interview training and salary negotiation coaching. And call me on +61 417 063 668.
- I assist clients across Australia. Including Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
- Also assisting clients worldwide. Including clients from USA, Brazil, UK, Canada and Germany.
- Will be adding more articles relating to COVID-19, virtual interview tips and answers to common virtual interview questions.
- This article was updated on May 27, 2020.
© 2003- 2020 KMD-Solutions. All rights reserved worldwide.