Job search during COVID-19 is more competitive. Below are job search tips to reduce the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on your job search.
- Several factors impact your job search during COVID-19. Including your location, industry and the companies you are applying to.
- Stay positive and do not get discouraged. As job seekers can find more opportunities in certain industries.
- There are less job openings due to COVID-19. But some job seekers stopped applying. So keep applying, as you may have less competition.
New job opportunities during COVID-19
- Some organisations started hiring in March 2020. Also see COVID-19 job opportunities.
- Services Australia announced 5,000 openings.
- BHP is hiring new 1,500 employees
- Telstra is recruiting 1,000 employees Australia wide.
- Services NSW is hiring an additional 1,000 staff
- Woolworths is also hiring 20,000 nationwide, with 5,000 to Qantas employees who had been laid-off.
- Aldi is also employing new staff.
- Hospitals are hiring doctors and nurses.
- Warehousing companies are also hiring.
- Some companies are redeploying COVID-19 layoffs.
Relief for those affected by COVID-19
- Countries around the world are offering relief.
- Australia is currently increasing the unemployment payments to job seekers. Also offering certain payments. In addition to the job keeper stimulus package.
- Many countries are providing financial support packages and decreased tax rates.
Industries most affected by COVID-19
- There will probably be more job opportunities in Government, biotechnology, food and healthcare sectors.
- Many governments are hiring 1000s to offer services to cope with COVID-19.
- The travel and tourism industries seem to be most affected at this stage. So job hunting in these industries is extremely competitive.
- Also, hospitality and retail are affected by COVID-19.
How to reduce the effect of COVID-19 on your job search
- Network, as networking will help you in the short term and long term.
- Continue to improve your job search techniques. As this will increase your job hunting success.
- Improve your resume/ CV and make it stand out.
- Be more flexible with your expectations.
- Expand your job hunting as much as possible.
- If you are currently unemployed, consider roles where you can apply your transferable skills. As this will improve your chances.
- More companies are allowing employees to work from home. So you can consider these roles.
- Be prepared for virtual interviewing, video interviewing and phone interviewing. Also see my virtual interview tips.
- Don’t get discouraged.
- Stay positive. As this is always required for a successful job search.
- Don’t appear too eager or too desperate.
This article was last updated in March 2020.
Tips on job search during COVID-19
- Be prepared to answer questions related to COVID-19. Including, have you traveled overseas and have you had any exposure to anyone who has COVID-19.
- Some companies may have a hiring freeze. But keep networking.
- As a result of COVID-19, most companies will conduct more online virtual interviews.
- Some companies have put all face to face interviews on hold. But some companies still require a face to face interview.
- Many companies may take longer to make a hiring decision.
- Please share these tips on job search during COVID-19.
- See my professional resume services.
- Assisting clients across Australia. Including in Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney.
- Also, I help clients worldwide. Including clients in USA, Japan, Canada, UK and India.
KMD-Solutions is based in Sydney, NSW, Australia