Job search mistakes decrease your chances of landing your dream job. Also, mistakes delay your success. So, avoid job search mistakes to land your dream job quicker.
Avoid these job search mistakes
- Not taking the job search seriously. Most spend years and $1,000s on education, training and certification. But expect to just send a few applications and then start receiving job offers right away. It simply doesn’t work this way, due to high competition.
- Acting desperate. Never let them know that you are desperate.
- Only applying to advertised jobs. Don’t rely on just one method. So don’t ignore the hidden job market,
- Not trying hard enough. You must keep at it and not give up.
- Pretending to know everything at interview time.
- Not being courteous, coming on too strong or having a bad attitude. Your etiquette says a lot about you.
- Your resume doesn’t stand out from all the other applicants.
- Accepting a salary that’s much less than what you are worth in the job market. Learn to negotiate a salary package that’s acceptable before accepting the job, including benefits and bonuses.
- Not preparing or not practising for the job interview. The more you prepare, the better chances you have of succeeding.
- Arriving late for a job interview.
- When networking, asking for a job instead of asking for suggestions.
- Applying to jobs you really don’t want.
- Starting your job search before deciding your career path you want to pursue.
- Not clearly defining why the position you are applying for matches your specific skills and expertise.
- Not following job application instructions.
More mistakes to avoid
- Having a non-presentable resume and/ or cover letter.
- Doing a letter writing campaign by sending out your resume to hundreds of companies.
- Aiming too high. Don’t apply to jobs that are way above your qualifications or experience. Also, consider a job offer that pays slightly less than your expectations. Especially if it has good potential for future advancement.
- Taking rejection the wrong way. Never rely on just one job that you applied for. Keep applying until you have a formal written job offer.
Avoid all the above job search mistakes. Also, if you are serious about your job search, don’t ignore the hidden job market, through networking & cold calling.
For job search, salary and career FAQ & A, check out frequently asked questions & answers
The above listed job search mistakes are the most common mistakes. Obviously job candidates make other job search mistakes.
Please share these job search mistakes with those who can benefit from them.