The hidden job market includes networking. This is one of the best ways to explore job opportunities in 2023.
- What are the advantages of networking?
- By ignoring the unadvertised jobs and jobs that are not posted online, you are eliminating a large % of possible opportunities.
What is networking within the hidden job market?
- Networking is about building relationships with those who can help you. So, always stay in touch with your contacts.
- It is letting your contacts know that you are looking for a job. Even if they are in a different field or industry.
- Make and keep excellent relationships with those you come across. Also, keep their contact details. This help increase your chances.
- One of the ways to network is through LinkedIn.
- Don’t wait to network when you start looking for a job. Instead, network before you start looking for a job. As you never know when the next time you will be looking for a job.
- The more you network the better your chances will be. What you start today will also be handy for future job searches.
- Examples of networks are previous employers, customers, suppliers and friends.
- Let your contacts know that you are looking for a job. Also give them a copy of your resume.
- Always follow up with those you network with.
- Just like cold calling, finding a job through networking may not be as quick as finding an advertised job. But it is more rewarding.
- After you find and accept the job, contact everyone who helped you to thank them. Do this even if their help didn’t result in a job offer. Your contacts will appreciate that you thanked them.
Advantages of the hidden job market in 2023
- As you progress in your career, your networks will grow and advance and as they do, they will help you. For example, a junior manager you work with today could become a CEO in a few years. This CEO may be in a position to hire you.
- If you contact a company before they create a position, they may hire you. As the position is not created, it wouldn’t be advertised. This is a major advantage, as you won’t have any competition.
Another method to tap into is cold calling
- Cold calling is an excellent and effective method that most job applicants ignore or avoid.
How to increase your future chances
- Maintain contact as you never know when you will be looking for a job again. Maintaining your contact allows you to tap into the hidden market. Not only when you are looking for a job, but at any time.
- Don’t be surprised if you receive a call from one of your networks inviting you to apply for a position.
- Keep building your contacts so that your network grows. This will give you easier and quicker access to the hidden market.
- Also see my virtual interview tips.
If your resume is not up to scratch, then you will be wasting your time! Whether you are searching in the visible or in the hidden market. So, make sure you have a well written resume, before you start your job search. This will increase your chances of getting invited to more interviews.
Please share these hidden job market tips.
KMD-solutions is based in Sydney, NSW, Australia.