Each counter offer example below illustrates a successful negotiation technique. Counter offer examples to negotiate the highest salary in 2020.
How much should I counter offer salary?
Can you provide a counter offer example?
- The counter offer examples below include contract re-negotiation examples and scenarios of counter offer.
- Also, these salary negotiation counter offer examples apply to many other counter offer scenarios. So you can also use these counter offer examples for procurement negotiation, supplier negotiation, contractor negotiation or house buying negotiation.
- Salary negotiation is not only for managers. It applies to women and men, all levels and all fields. You can use these salary negotiation counteroffer examples worldwide. Including in Australia, Canada, USA, Japan and Germany.
- Consider your own personal circumstances when applying each counter offer example.
- Conduct salary negotiation over the phone. Which is more rewarding than sending a counter offer letter or email.
- Use these salary negotiation counteroffer examples as a reference only. As there is no one size fits all and every situation is different. Let me work with you to negotiate the best counter offer and terms of contract. Call me on +61 417 063 668.
Why negotiate your salary in 2020
- If you don’t negotiate your starting salary, you could lose $350,000 over the course of your career.
- Negotiating $8,000 at the start of your career may not be much. But it could add up to more than $350,000.
- Try not to reveal your expected salary before you receive the job offer.
- If asked about your expected salary, indicate that your expected salary is negotiable.
- Don’t avoid salary negotiation, as you will miss out.
- Take salary negotiation of counter offer and terms of contract seriously. As it is not an easy task. So some seek assistance of a salary negotiation coach. Use a salary negotiation coach to be able negotiate the the highest salary.
- Prepare for negotiation by practicing salary negotiation examples. Follow each counteroffer example and terms of contract example.
Use each counter offer example as a guide
- The boss offers you $120,000 yearly salary.
- Conduct the starting salary negotiations over the phone.
- Even if you receive an offer letter or email, it is best to negotiate over the phone. And do not send a counter offer letter.
- When the boss offers you a salary of $120,000, they usually expect you will ask for more.
- Let’s say you would be happy with $135,000 plus benefits. Say something like: Thank you. I am very interested and can I get back to you shortly?
- This allows you to evaluate the offer and compare it to any other offer.
- Most likely the boss will appreciate that you need some time.
- So, this time will allow you to evaluate the job offer. Also, it allows you to plan your counter offer strategy. Write down the steps.
- Do not negotiate the base salary and the benefits at the same time. As you will miss out on one of them.
- Start with the base salary negotiation.
- Negotiate more salary benefits after you agree on the base salary.
- Determine how much to ask for based on your personal circumstances. Whether you have another job offer or if you are currently working.
- Depending on your individual circumstances, you can ask for a base salary of $145,000 and $155,000.
- You may decide to go higher or lower, depending on your personal circumstances.
- Also see counter offer letter
Salary negotiation examples
Once you get to this stage, you need to be decisive. But also show flexibility. So don’t say I won’t accept anything under $160,000.
Counter offer example 1
- You call the boss and counter offer with $145,000
- The boss increases the offer to $129,000 plus benefits
- Then you need to evaluate and decide the next step. Then let the boss know.
Counter offer example 2
- You call back the boss and counter offer with $145,000.
- The boss offers $124,000.
- Then you need to evaluate the situation and decide the next move. Then let the boss know.
Counter offer example 3
- You call back and counter offer with $145,000.
- The boss says they can not go higher than $120,000.
- This would be very rare
- Then you need to evaluate and decide how to proceed. Then let the boss know.
I work with you to evaluate these scenarios to achieve the highest package. Also, I assist you in evaluating more complex scenarios. Call me on +61 417 063 668 to negotiate the highest salary.
- It is best to negotiate salary on the phone or in person.
- Sometimes you may receive a salary offer letter. Even if you do, it is still best to negotiate the salary on the phone or in person.
- To justify why you deserve an increase, you may be asked for a counter offer letter. This would be the only rare time to justify a counter offer letter. Otherwise, conduct salary negotiation over the phone or in person.
Counter offer salary negotiation tips
- Most employers are happy to negotiate the salary package as a whole.
- You can also negotiate other terms of contract. But only after you cover your base salary and benefits.
- Do not negotiate everything together. As you will miss out.
- For example, an employee may negotiate a few extra paid days off.
- To get you to accept the offer, some bosses offer to review your salary in 6 months. But, they usually only give you a pay raise if your performance is exceptional. And not based on how you would evaluate yourself.
- So, once you start working for a company, the normal pay raise criteria will apply to you. This includes strict pay raise procedures.
- Agree on a starting salary that you are happy with before you accept the offer.
- Instead of sending a counter offer letter, discuss over the phone.
- It is much easier to understand how to counter offer with these salary negotiation examples.
- You can negotiate a higher salary if you find a job through the hidden job market. As you would be the only candidate.
- Practice each counteroffer example and salary negotiation examples.
- Ask for a job offer letter confirming all the details, after the negotiations.
- Will be adding more counteroffer examples.
Counter offer negotiation coaching
Let me work with you to help you negotiate a counter offer and terms of contract. For simple step by step coaching, call me on +61 417 063 668. I assist clients with salary negotiation worldwide. Including clients in Australia, USA, Japan, Canada, UK, Brazil and Germany.
Also during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic see these virtual interview tips.
We’ll be adding more counter offer examples for women and general salary counteroffer examples. In addition to job interview negotiations and procurement negotiation training
We are based in Sydney, Australia.
© 2003- 2020 KMD-Solutions. All rights reserved worldwide