Cold calling is one of the best methods to tap into the hidden job market. The hidden job market refers to unadvertised or non existing jobs. This covers 60-80% of jobs. Despite this high percentage of jobs, most job seekers only rely on advertised jobs. And they do not pay attention to the hidden job market or cold calling. Please read the full article below.
- Your chances of succeeding in finding the right job are much higher when exploring the hidden job market. This is due to no competition.
- Even jobs that are usually advertised can be filled before being advertised, through cold calling.
- Employers spend time, effort and money on advertising for a new job opening. So, if they find the right person, without having to advertise, they will hire this person.
- Don’t hesitate to negotiate a higher starting salary. As you would be the only candidate.
Tips to explore and tap into the hidden job market by cold calling
- Cold calling shows that you take the initiative and you don’t wait for a job to be advertised.
- Target companies in the industry that you are in or you want to be in.
- Cold call these companies directly, after you research these companies.
- Research companies through the internet.
- Cold calling companies directly can be very rewarding.
- Don’t be discouraged. Even if you are not comfortable with cold calling,
- Start increasing the number of cold calls each day.
- Cold calling becomes easier as you practice and make more calls. The whole job search process can be very stressful. Keep in mind that practice makes perfect.
- Start with the major players in the industry.
- Obtain contact details from business listings, internet listings and company websites. Contact the senior managers at those companies.
- Also see job interview coaching and salary negotiation coaching
- If a manager says that they don’t have any openings, ask them if they expect to have any openings in the future. Also ask them if they know any other companies that may be hiring. You’d be surprised at the number of people who will help refer you.
- Due to the high cost of advertising and going through recruiters, many companies only post job openings on the company website. So, check company websites in the industry that interests you. Also, check the links on those websites, as they are usually related.
More reasons for cold calling
- If you cold call a company while they are deciding to create a position, they may hire you. This is another advantage of the hidden job market.
- A senior manager may create new positions for talented individuals who have contacted them through a cold call.
- Finding a job by cold canvasing may not be as quick as finding an advertised job. But it is more rewarding, as the success rate is higher. This is due to no competition compared to 300 applicants per advertised job.
Explore the hidden job market, in addition to other job search methods. Also, see cold calling cover letter.
KMD-solutions is based in Sydney, NSW, Australia