Two job offers and I really don’t know what to do. I like company B more than company A. But company A is offering me a higher salary.
Which of the two job offers should I accept?
Is it OK to tell a potential employer that you have another offer?
Do I accept the offer from company B?
Should I ask company B to match the offer of company A?
Do I ask for more from company B by telling them that I have another job offer?
- I am currently unemployed. As I was laid off by my last employer due to the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.
How to decide between two job offers
- If you have two job offers, it definitely makes it easier to negotiate.
- And if you have more than two job offers, it will be even easier to negotiate.
- In evaluating your two offers, consider your own personal circumstances. As this is the most important factor to help you decide between two job offers.
- First, review and compare the whole salary packages. And not just the base salaries.
- Consider the size of each company and career growth potential.
- Also consider the distance from home.
Since you have two job offers it is easier to negotiate
- If the salary package of company B is lower than company A, you can tell them that you have another job offer from another company. But you prefer their company.
- Use your salary negotiation techniques and negotiate with them.
- Ensure that you don’t give them the impression that you are going to go back and forth between the two companies. As that can backfire and you don’t want to burn any bridges.
- If you are happy with the result of the negotiations, it is best to accept the offer.
- If you are not happy with the result, you can tell company A that you have another job offer.
- Then re-negotiate with them. This really depends on how much risk you want to take and depending on your priorities. As they are already paying more than company B and you are unemployed.
- It may be safer to accept company A’s offer.
- Also see counter offer letter
Let me work with you to negotiate a higher salary
We’ll be adding: what to do when you have more than two job offers.
KMD-Solutions is based in Sydney, NSW, Australia